In Jay Heinrichs Thank You For Arguing he goes very into detail about how we should argue and different techniques that we should use if we want to get our way. For example if we talk in a certain tense while we are speaking or as simple as using the word “would” instead of “will” could make you win or lose the argument. I have never thought about arguing in this sort of depth that he does in this book. I like in the first chapter how he points out that persuasion is everywhere in our lives and no matter how hard we try to not be persuaded it still is everywhere we look. I have never thought of it that way but with the few examples he gives it really does go to show how much we are persuaded by different objects in everyday life. Also through out my life people have always said do what makes you happy and don’t let others influence who you want to be, but when it comes to trying to persuade people you need to change and be more what they want you to be even though it may not be what you want. I like the example he gives about the lady with the bumper sticker because it goes to show you can do whatever you want to do but sometimes when you do as you please it may come with consequences.
No comments:
Post a Comment