Today I found myself in a conversation with my
friend Nick. Nick was complaining how he had hurt his elbow and that it was
really bothering him. I asked about his symptoms and then said I would ask my
sister if she knew what was wrong with him. He prompted, "is your sister a
physician or something?", sounding uncertain as to question if she had education in the
field. I responded and explained that my sister was a
doctor which immediately changed his mood and he then encouraged me to ask her for
help. After walking away form the conversation I immediately realized that I
had used ethos to win my argument and persuade Nick to agree with me. The stays of my sister being a doctor made him instantly think she knew everything and she knows what is wrong with him. Jay
Heinrichs has a way to draw in his readers and keep him there by writing to
relate to all age groups and leave the audience thinking about your every word and
thought. I am intrigued to learn more and have never thought of rhetoric in
such a way before. I find myself being persuaded every second every day and
using his tools to get my way. One part of the reading so far that really stuck
out to me was changing your tone, appearance, and manners based off of the
occasion and your audience. I always thought just be yourself and they will
surely like you. While staying true to yourself, you can still persuade and act
in such a way to relate and grab the attention of your audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment