Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bender week 9


"Maybe I'm an aberration, an outlier. But it doesn't seem that way. When I mention my troubles with reading to my friends, many say they're suffering from similar afflictions. The more they use the Web, the more they have to fight to stay focused on long pieces of writing, Some worry they're becoming chronic scatterbrains." I found Carr's argument of our brain changing in the prologue on page seven to be very convincing. It is the first time where the topic is thoroughly explained and immediately gives me fear of what is going on in the inside of my own brain. I already knew that electronics are overthrowing books and maps, but I did not ever think of the possible effect of actually changing the composition of my brain. It is most convincing at this point in the book because he has not brought up anything else other than this alarming fact instantly. I think his placement of this argument is in a good place to lure in the reader's attention. I also like that he proves that his friends also agree with him and that he is not making the claim solely on his own opinion and experiences. The term "chronic scatterbrains" frighten s me tremendously into believing that the internet is an evil monster coming to take over the world. I wish that the rest of the book had such alarming attention gravers, but so far I just keep holding up for the book to end as alarming as it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment