Monday, April 7, 2014

Post 9 Gordon



I do agree with Ann Marie’s statement that many students in the class myself included, were not completely convinced with Carr’s argument.  He seems to be off topic at times, and the main phrase on the cover (What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains) does not seem very relevant.  With that being said Carr does have a couple of interesting points where he is very convincing.  I found him to be the most convincing when he brought up the topic of  maps and clocks.  On Page 41, Carr notes, “What the map did for space—translate a natural phenomena into an artificial and intellectual conception of phenomena—another technology, the mechanical clock did for time”.  Because clocks and maps seem so basic to me I never thought of them as technology.  With the generation I was born in, technology seems as though it must be something electronic like a phone or laptop.  Carr argues that before maps all concept of space and the earth was relative, you could only see what was ahead of you.  Clocks made time seem more artificial.  It used to be that there was an estimate of time told based on the sun and its location.  Now with clocks there is a more precise way and Carr notes that this is a more artificial way.  I couldn’t imagine my life without either maps or clocks, so it is interesting that Carr is not bashing on the new technology, yet at the same time he does not seem very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment