Even though I find this book to be extremely boring and I
have to force my self to get through the assigned reading, Carr still makes
some good points in his book. Right at the beginning of the book on page 6 it
says, “What the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for
concentration and contemplation. Whether I’m online or not, my mind now expects
to take in information the way the Net distributes it… Once I was a scuba diver
in the sea of words. Now I zip along the surface like a guy on a Jet ski.”
Everything in our society today has to be fast and straight to the point in
order for people to be interested. While on the Internet there are so many
things that one person can do at such a fast pace and I can see how that could
affect the way our brain takes in information. For example with twitter, we sit
there on our phone scrolling through the twitter feed skimming over all of the
tweets that there are to read. Or if I do a search on Google trying to find
information I will click onto a website, quickly skim through it, and if I don’t
find what I am looking for I will just move on to another website. Since the
internet has became such a big part of our lives it is literally around us 24/7
and if we are just constantly skimming over the information that is provided to
us I can see where that can become detrimental to our learning capability since
we aren’t actually learning the information, we are just simply skimming the
surface of everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment