After
finishing Maus, I realized the
rhetoric used throughout the book is highly engaged with the reader’s pathos.
Hearing the horrible stories about how the Jews were treated and what they had
to endure during the Holocaust makes you feel incredibly sad and depressed. It
is absolutely insane that the incredible number of people felt that much
physical and emotional pain for as long as they did. Relating this to Eating Animals, I also think Jonathon
Safran Foer used pathos to make his book most effective. When reading, you felt
guilty for the innocent animals that get tortured, beaten, abused and worse
during the course of their life. Like Vladek, their quality of life is
incredibly low because of how other people treat them, and for the most part
there’s nothing they could do about it.
Safran Foer uses this pathos to try and
change the reader’s mind about what they buy and eat, and make the problem
stop. Spiegelman uses pathos as a way to keep survivor’s tales alive. Both make
a huge impact. Carr also uses pathos throughout his story, but I personally did
not feel as inclined to change because of how the writing style. When reading The Shallows, I felt more attacked than
understood. I also felt that he had a generational bias against the people
currently growing up with technology, and I still don’t think it’s a bad thing.
All three writers use the same rhetoric style in their work, but it is much
more effective for Jonathon Safran Foer and Art Spiegelman.
No comments:
Post a Comment