In the book, The Shallows by Nicholas Carr, there are
many things that I do not agree with and some things I do agree with. In
chapter ten Carr talked about how tools numb whatever part of the body they
replace. I can see what he is saying with this argument and somewhat agree with
it because the internet, for example, can easily give us information on command
and I know many students such as I who have not checked out a library book in
years. The internet has replaced human beings physically going to check out
books, read them, and collect knowledge from there. I also somewhat agree with
Carr when he says that by externalizing problem solving we reduce our brains
ability to build knowledge that we could later apply. I find easy shortcuts to
complete things all the time and when I have to go back and use that
information again, it is not stored in my brain. I then have to use the same
resource I used before to find out the answer again instead of having it in my
head.
Something I do not
agree with in Carr’s book is how he thinks that in order for society to advance
we need the ability to have a quiet environment with books and deep thinking. I
completely disagree with this considering many different and miraculous
inventions have come a high speed and busy world. It takes combinations of
different people who connect to come up with new inventions. This is done through
the internet world mostly.
No comments:
Post a Comment