Saturday, April 26, 2014

Shepherd--Post 11

The Shallows by Carr was an interesting book to be sure. I cant say that I loved it or really hated it but rather I knew that it was a very informative book as to the inner workings of the human brain which as a Heath Studies major I find terribly interesting. All things considered I would never want to read this book again. I found that I was able to follow the science relatively well and so I would agree with Carr on a purely scientific factual basis that our brains structure can change to adapt to new environments. I did however; disagree with him on the argument that it is terrible for our brains and society. While I do hate e-readers and think everyone should use real books for pleasure reading, I can see the benefits of being able to carry so many books all within the touch of your finger tips. I don’t think that they are making us any dumber or less able to focus on tasks for a long period of time. I think that those problems lie deeper within society about not wanting to deal with the real world and require more than just the Internet to be completed even though the Internet may help.

No comments:

Post a Comment