Sunday, April 6, 2014

Post 9-Dani Reed


            In Chapter one of The Shallows, Carr showed us with how each upgrade the computer came out with, how he upgraded with it. He went from having just a computer at work to lugging the computer from his work to his home only to work on business related subjects and then it became for play as well. Each new software that came out, he purchased it. This happens in today’s world when the new IPhone comes out for example, people line up at the Apple store waiting to turn in their “old” IPhones in for the new one. On page 13, Carr states,’ The computer, I began to sense, was more than just a simple tool that did what you told it to do. It was a machine that, in subtle but unmistakable ways, exerted an influence over you. The more I used it, the more it altered the way I worked.” This was an argument that Carr affectively made and caught my attention with. The newest devices and soft wares change the way we operate in the business world and outside of the business world. Classes are changing and having their textbooks online, having us turn papers in online, taking quizzes online, etc. This year I had to learn how to read my textbook online which was tricky for me but now that is what I am used to.  I also talked to my mom about how she would spend hours at the library to look something up when she was in college and now we just type into Google and find out whatever we are looking for in a second. Carr argues to show something like this on page 16 saying, “My habits and routines were changing as I became more accustomed to and dependent on the sites and service of the Net.” This is exactly how today’s society works. We wont even wait a couple minutes to retrieve an answer off of the Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment