Saturday, April 12, 2014
Post #9 Poulsen
In Nicolas Carr's book The Shallows I personally do not agree with all of what he is saying, but I do have to agree that he makes a good argument that really gets the audience thinking about whether or not the Internet is actually good or bad for the human brain. Carr makes arguments that technology changes what ever generation that it is made in and gives examples like the map and clock but he thinks that the Internet is making us lazy and less focused and overall more primitive. He states on page 31 that "We have learned that neuroplasticity is not only possible but it is constantly in action." This means that our brain is always changing and is never at rest. Most would say that this is a good thing because we are always learning new things and bettering our minds, but Carr believes that we are instead learning to be more dependent and lazy. I think that Carr is wrong because I think that the Internet is instead making us more informed about a wider variety of knowledge. The fact that our brain is always changing and learning tells me that we always have room for more knowledge and since the Internet is infinite I see it as the best place to learn and grow our minds. The only part I agree with Carr is that each technology is changing humans in a huge way. We just happen to disagree on whether its for the good or bad. Im hoping that in later chapters we learn more about the internet and how it has effected humans over the years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment