Monday, April 28, 2014
Shepherd-Post 12
After finishing the first volume of Maus I think that the moment that shows extraordinary
pathos would be on pages 100 to 103 when we read the comic within the graphic
novel about Art’s struggles with mental stability and his mothers suicide. I feel like this particular section of
the story gives a whole new side to the Art character. By allowing us to see
that he isn’t just a stuck up person and that he has also gone through some
intense struggles like his father did when going through World War Two and The
Holocaust. Pathetic refers to being able to add emotion into the story and I
think Art does a very good job of doing that. I feel as if this moment is
particularly pathetic because we are able to see how emotionally drastic Art
and his father, Vladeck Spiegelman, respond to this horrific event happening in
their lives after they had already suffered so much. In addition to that because
this comic within a graphic novel is drawn in with actual human faces and not
animals like the rest of the book, we as readers are able to better connect
with the characters and read the emotions on their faces. This section fits
with the story as a whole because it gives you more insight into the background
of Art, the author, and helps explain some of his bitterness towards his father.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment