So
far I haven’t enjoyed Carr’s arguments in the Shallows. I mainly disagree with them for the most part. Although one quote stuck out to me. It’s on page 32, “It’s not just repeated
physical actions that can rewire are brains.
Purely mental activity can also alter our neural circuitry, sometimes in
far-reaching ways.” So going on the fact
that Carr believes the internet is altering our brains, what he is trying to
say is that our brains our depending on the internet way too much. An example of this is if we have a question,
most of the time I would just google the answer instead of trying to figure it
out on my own. By doing this over and
over again my brain is wired to go to google and look up the answer whenever I have
a question. This can be bad because when
I google a question I am not solving it myself.
Since I am not solving it myself I have no way of being able to do that
question again. If I solved it myself I would
know exactly how to do it myself. So
this is one instance where I agree with Carr because I believe the internet is
making us lazy and is rewiring our brains to just look questions up instead of
solving them ourselves. I hope for more
arguments like this one later in the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment