Monday, April 21, 2014

Post 10 - Zarif

The last time I got totally immersed with a book is when I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde like around 5 years ago. Since this book was made as a literature classic; it had became quite long for me to digest the plot. But once I did get into the 'zone', I could feel that there's no turning back. As a guy who spends day in day out favoring video games  over books, it seems pretty hard for me at first. It was a gradual step for me to start cherishing literacy over visual presentation. Regarding the book itself, I found that the story line amazes me as for its similarity, or its sense of being on me that had me feeling as if I was both Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Both character stood up rhetorically portraying the good and the evil respectively. Especially, I can't help but to fall in love with the atmosphere around Soho, as described in the novel where most of the events in the story that had taken place. It is very refreshing to see that the evolution of Dr. Jekyll  into Mr. Hyde had become more uncontrollable as the story expands and this allows curious audiences such as me to be more intrigue of the unimaginable act that Mr.Hyde could suddenly commit out of the blue. Consequently, there was also a scene one night when the urge gripped him too strongly, and after the transformation he immediately rushed out and violently killed Sir Danvers Carew. 

Horrified, Jekyll tried more adamantly to stop the transformations, and for a time he proved successful; one day, however, while sitting in a park, he suddenly turned into Hyde, the first time that an involuntary metamorphosis had happened while he was awake.
Far from his laboratory and hunted by the police as a murderer, Hyde needed Lanyon’s(a longtime friend of Dr. Jekyll) help to get his potions and become Jekyll again; but when he undertook the transformation in Lanyon’s presence, the shock of the sight instigated Lanyon’s deterioration and death. Meanwhile, Jekyll returned to his home, only to find himself ever more helpless and trapped as the transformations increased in frequency and necessitated even larger doses of potion in order to reverse themselves. 
It was the onset of one of these spontaneous metamorphoses that caused Jekyll to slam his laboratory window shut in the middle of his conversation with Enfield and Utterson. Eventually, the potion began to run out, and Jekyll was unable to find a key ingredient to make more. His ability to change back from Hyde into Jekyll slowly vanished. Jekyll writes that even as he composes his letter he knows that he will soon become Hyde permanently, and he wonders if Hyde will face execution for his crimes or choose to kill himself. Jekyll notes that, in any case, the end of his letter marks the end of the life of Dr. Jekyll. With these words, both the document and the novel come to a close while being the reason that I chose this outstanding piece of craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment