When reading The Shallows, the majority of my
feelings were in disagreement with Carr’s argument. I don’t think that
technology is making us more stupid, and I still don’t understand how you can
ever measure that. Who are we more stupid then? How can he tell? Does he
compare IQs of people fifty years ago and now? He does not make it clear. I
think we are getting advanced and that it’s helping us use our time in the best
way. Instead of having to read an entire book to find a paragraph of
information, we can Google something and get the results much quicker. It is a
waste of time to have to locate a book or encyclopedia where something might
be, instead of just searching it online to get your answer.
However, Carr also makes the
argument that the Internet is making us lazier, and that I do have to agree
with. My dad emails me articles he finds interesting all the time, and if I
think they’re too long, I skim through, and sometimes don’t even skim all the
way to the end. I do agree with his idea of deep reading being lost, but I don’t
think that’s a bad thing. Why is it necessary to have to read a 300 page book?
Some people also just don’t enjoy reading, or would rather spend their time
doing something else. Just because things are different than how Carr grew up,
he assumes they’re all bad. I think he was generationally biased throughout the
book and it was hard to agree with many of his ideas.
No comments:
Post a Comment