Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thank You for Arguing Week Two

Through reading Thank You for Arguing, I have certainly picked up on many new ways to go about conversations and arguments. The first few chapters are full of useful tips and insightful information about the history and art of rhetoric. One tip I have found to be very useful and easy to use is the bit about knowing what your objective is in an argument. In the last few days alone, I have caught myself getting off topic and just spinning my wheels in an argument. I have learned that knowing what the objective of an argument or conversation is can be one of the most important parts of the discussion. Staying on topic and using some subtle tactics can help you get your point across and ultimately get what you want.

Another tip I have found to be something that can really help in day to day conversation is the idea that arguments are about the end result, not "scoring points". The example he gave about being stopped in traffic is an excellent example. He conceded points in admitting that he knew he was wrong and made himself the smaller of the two people. This way, the police officer won on points because he was the authority figure and had the power position. In the event that the officer let the person off with a warning, the person lost on points but won the battle because he did not get the ticket. This also serves as an example for staying on topic and understanding what you want to accomplish with the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment