Wednesday, February 19, 2014

week4-knightly

After reading chapter three one of the words that really stuck out to me was cruelty.  It is a small section but he describes it very well.  One thing he says is “cruelty depends on an understanding of cruelty.”  This is an interesting phrase because he talks about how animals may be cruel to each other and that is different from what humans can do to animals.  Humans should know what is cruel and what is not.  Animals have no understanding of this so they don’t know they are being cruel.  I agree with this statement because of what he said next, he said we have the ability to change it or ignore it.  I see people being cruel everyday and usually I just ignore it if I don’t know them but I could also change it by acting upon it.  Foer believes animals should be in the wild because nature isn’t cruel.  I disagree with this because I eat meat.  If we didn’t have farms to raise the animals we eat, it wouldn’t be the same.  I disagree with the ranchers that say they are protecting animals from nature.  I believe they are just raising them based on that fact that they can later sell them.  I agree with this part of this article and also disagree with it at the same time that is why this article stood out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment