Monday, February 3, 2014

week 2 tyfa-Ryan Knightly

When I first saw the title of the book TYFA I thought it was going to be a bunch of stuff I already know.  I thought this because I thought I knew how to argue.  After reading I realized I was wrong.  One thing I learned was how to win a deliberative argument.  I thought it was very interesting how in stead of trying to outscore your opponent you should try to get your way.  Usually when I argue I end up almost trying to outscore my opponent and I start losing focus about how to get my way.  It has changed my perspective on how I argue, as the book says "People often win arguments on points, only to lose the battle.
Another thing I learned was to change the tense of an argument as it says in chapter three.  I was surprised that Aristotle's favorite tense was the choice=future tense.  When I argue I like to use the past tense.  I always play the "blame game" and try to make others feel guilty.  After reading how each tense can be used to win an argument it really changes my views on arguing in general

No comments:

Post a Comment