In Thank You for Arguing Heinrichs tells us that we need to
be able to tell our audience what we like, but at the same time to try and not
show any bias for one side or the other.
I think that is what Safran Foer is trying to do when he mentions his hate
and then sudden love for dogs. This
quick change in mind is becoming a common thing for Safran Foer and make him
like able because he is able to appeal to everyone, in this case dog lovers and
non-dog lovers. This is also a way that
Pathos is added to Eating Animals because he connects to our emotions by
allowing us to share a common feeling about something. However, I feel as if this is also hurting
his Ethos because he so quickly changes his mind or changes how he feels about
something. I do not see this as a big
problem though because the book is more of a way for us to take a different view
on how animals play a part in our community and everyday life instead of Safran
Foer trying to convince us to feel one way or another about animals. All things considered I am really enjoying
both Thank You for Arguing and Eating Animals and am really interested to see
how Safran Foer uses the concepts that are mentioned by Heinrichs. Now that I am paying more attention to these
tools of rhetoric I am finding that Eating animals is surprisingly more
entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment