Sunday, February 2, 2014

Week 2-Dani Reed

Thank You For Arguing has surprisingly been quite an influential book. I did not expect to get as much out if it as I am. There have been times when I am with my friends and they are texting their friend or boyfriend fighting about something and they bring different points into the conversation that just make it worse. I found myself telling them that they are straying away from the real issue and that it will not help them get what they want out of the argument.
I also took note of the tense they were using while arguing and which methods they were using back and forth against each other. I told my friend to use the future tense to help make the change in the relationship and achieve the ultimate goal, which would be to come up with a consensus. I told her that what she really wants is for her boyfriend to make the choice that she wants him to make so using what would be “deliberative rhetoric” is the way to go since it promises a payoff. It is not smart to go back in the past and blame each other for things because that will only cause a fight, which I learned is different than an argument. Thank You For Arguing taught me that a fight is trying to win and it never persuades anyone. An argument is trying to win over an audience and get people or someone to do what you want. These first five chapters in Thank You For Arguing have taught me a lot and I am really enjoying it because it is something I can actually use on a day-to-day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment