In
chapter three of Eating Animals Jonathan Safran Foer uses definitions of words
to engage the audiences attention. He creates his own sort of dictionary as a
rhetor tool that I found extremely interesting. One of his definitions that
caught my attention was the usage of "free range" on meat packages. I
do not eat red meat, but I do eat chicken and fish. I shop organically and
believed it was in my best interest to buy foods labeled natural and fresh.
Growing up in a family wend grocery store business I see first hand what
techniques are used to get the most products sold. Foer is saying all of this
is Bullshit and it does not matter if the animal if vegetarian fed and said to
have been treated with care. This section appalled me and questioned my morals
when I thought I was being a better person by buying these "fresh"
products.
He then goes on to describe actual data of the conditions the animals we
eat live in. The only thing that “free range” means is that they are not in a
cage, and does not signify any better treatment to the animals. He then defines
free range as, "Where laying hens are debeaked, drugged, and cruelly
slaughtered once "spent". I could keep a flock of hens under my sink
and call them free-range.” He really connected to me when he used a personal
real life situation of a situation relatable to what the animals endure during
their time on a factory farm.
No comments:
Post a Comment