After this week’s class discussions, I have learned a lot from Thank You For Arguing. From the case of how to seduce a cop on chapter 2, I could discipline myself to set my goals for argument with others. When I have argued with others, I have never thought of rhetorical strategies so it have been close to a fight, not an argument. However, now I am likely to think what I want at the end of an argument before I say mindless things. In addition to this, I became to set my goals for communication partners. It was only when I read this book that I found out how achieving agreement from others. By reading this book I knew the importance of audiences’ willingness to confirm what I mean.
By reading recent a few chapters, I felt that rhetoric is everywhere in everyday talk. And also I have taken to having analytic thinking when I read an online article. Unwittingly, I was considering about who are rhetors and audiences and what are messages and contexts of an article. By having analytic viewpoints, I can understand better other’s intention and can face a matter squarely than before. Moreover, by understanding a subtle distinction of using different tense, I could manipulate tense to achieve the goal in communicating with others. From very frist five chapters, I have learned that what effective argument is and what goal of argument is. Furthermore, I realized that advance strategies and preparation on a topic can make an argument elicit consensus.
No comments:
Post a Comment