Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 4 Poulsen

In chapter 3 the author Safran Foer describes the work Bycatch.  At first I didn’t really think anything about this work until he puts it in the context of the sea creatures.  When he describes this word it explains that when we go to the store and buy some shrimp were not actually just buying those shrimp.  In reality were actually buying a whole group of animals that were killed just to catch those shrimp but were in the way.  This really stood out to me because he names animals like sharks, whales, dolphins and turtles.  These animals never come into mind when someone sits down to eat or buy shrimp.  After reading this section it made me curios about what all goes on just to make a hamburger or bacon in the morning.  Safran Foer has brought to my attention that the average person knows next to nothing about what they are actually eating and where it came from.  I for one love Sushi and now when I eat sushi I am more curious about what other animals have been killed just so I can enjoy a dinner meal.    The word Bycatch by definition means the portion of a commercial fishing catch that consists of marine animals caught unintentionally.  This may seem rather straight forward but when Safran Foer actually names the names of animals we are able to get a better idea of what animals are actually being killed and it makes the word seem more harmful than just the base definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment