Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 5-Dani Reed


         I thought the rhetoric coffee shop assignment was unique because we were able to take what we learned in class and use it to analyze a place in the real world. Rarely do students get to do a hands-on activity like that and I think it helps show that what one is learning in class actually does pertain to everyday life even though you may not see it at first. I liked how the groups were small because it forced everyone to participate. At first this assignment was odd for me because I go to coffee shops every other day without noticing and even realizing they each hold a different argument. My group and I went to the Fair Grounds Coffee House and immediately thought of it as an older looking place with dim lighting, wobbly wooden chairs, and unprofessional looking workers. The ceiling was exposed with the pipes showing that the shop did not care to class up their space and instead show more of a rugged look. This coffee shop also had a bar in it that was placed in the front of the shop, which attracts the older crowd. This coffee house sold breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well. The employers gave you a number after you ordered and would serve you your coffee, pastry, and or meal to your table. This gave it an old diner sort of feel. The argument for this coffee shop was that they were attracting older college students and adults to stop by for less expensive meal or drink, opposite of the modern sophisticated “Starbucks” type of place.  This assignment showed me that every place really does have an argument even if you do not recognize it at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment