After reading a
few chapters of Thank You for Arguing,
I can confidently say I’ve learned more about persuasion and agreement than I
previously knew. In chapter three there is a lot of discussion on the
difference between attacking someone with a fight or talking with someone in an
argument. It is crucial to understand what you want in the end, and then
putting the conversation in that tense. I think that because most people don’t
have an extended knowledge on how to argue “correctly”, it can be tough for them
to have a controlled argument. Because of their lack of knowledge, I think it
can also be difficult for those arguing against them to make them change their
mind.
I also agree with
Jay Heinrichs when he talks about suggesting an extreme to get what you want. I
remember learning that tip when reading a magazine a long time ago, and I still
use it to my advantage. In sixth grade my English teacher emphasized the fact
that “everything is relative”, and I think that comes to play in this
situation. When you want something and immediately compare two things, you can
make what you want seem more desirable. I think it’s also important to
recognize when someone is using that tactic on you. I think by continuing to
learn about the art of persuasion, it’ll help us not only with our own skills
but how to avoid getting manipulated by the same strategy.
No comments:
Post a Comment