Monday, February 10, 2014

week3- Knightly


This week in TYFA I read about Aristotle’s three essential qualities of persuasive ethos. Virtue, practical wisdom, and disinterest are the three qualities.  Virtue is making the audience believe you share their values.  When I think of virtue, I think of my parents.  But after reading rhetorically virtue has a different meaning.  This means to hold up the values of a group.  This quality is shown by Foer.  After reading a little more of the book I respect Foer’s virtues.  He pulls the reader in with his views on certain subjects.  He does this by not just being extreme on a certain view but instead he takes a side but doesn’t attack the other side.  He says pros and cons of both sides by using facts instead of just giving his personal opinion.  Even if you don’t agree with him you sill respect his views.  Since I respect his values the book pulls me in and helps me understand his values.  In chapter 2 Foer uses a lot of ethos which really pulled me into the story.  Another thing Foer did well was he used pathos very well to pull the audience into his story right away.  This worked for me and I’m sure it did for a lot of other people.  Foer also used logos in Chapter two by providing facts and it shows he has stuff to back his viewpoints up.  An example of logos is when he says how many fish are still alive that have been around for the past fifty to one hundred years.

No comments:

Post a Comment