I found many logical fallacies in chapter five of Eating Animals. I would not have known
what a logical fallacy was without Heinrichs pointing it out to me. Now I can find many logical fallacies everyday
and can spot and identify them. I spotted two logical fallacies that stood out
to me that Foer put to use.
The first use of a
fallacy was false comparison. In the chapter he starts with saying that there
is going to a pandemic soon. By using the word wil,l he is making it real and
relevant to the audience. He then connects the wide spread illness with the
treatment of animals. He is basically saying that because we treat animals
wrongly in factory farms, we are all going to die of influenza. He does not
exactly come out and say this, but he suggests it by starting with the threat
of the influenza and transitioning right into the death of chickens.
The second logical fallacy I found was Foer using exaggerated
information to appeal to the audience’s emotion. While describing the way the
chickens die, he says that the immigrant workers become injured from breaking
the birds’ necks. Yes, some workers are immigrants and may injure themselves,
but there are most likely a large group of workers who are perfectly fine. He
does not use percentages or numbers to give proof of how many workers get hurt,
he just gives one example to prove his point. He connects emotional to this
exaggeration of employee well being by making the audience feel sorry for
workers’ conditions. This is a very dramatic chapter that Foer uses to grab in the
readers and change their minds to think more like his.
No comments:
Post a Comment