Sunday, March 30, 2014

Hart Week 7 Post (Post #6)

Week 7 Post

Look back at the book as a whole and complete experience, I would like to talk about the moment that had the biggest impact on me as I read and how it contradicted some of my current beliefs.
First thing’s first, I believe this book is a desperate cry to encourage vegetarianism in the United States. That may be open to discussion but that’s the way I see it. That argument largely, not completely, failed with me. I’m not going to stop eating meat, enjoying meat, or wanting more meat. But I will now think for a second and half longer than I did before consuming after reading the section titled “Downers”. I’m not sure why that has stuck with me for so long, but the image of the sheep that was too weak to stand on its own power has been burned into my memory. That emotional appeal really got to me. It was the perfect image to highlight the cruelty and brutality of the factory farming culture. It is sad to think about. I’ve never had hard feelings about eating meat before in my life. There’s a food chain that mankind stands atop of and there’s no reason why I should feel bad about eating it. It could be that I do my best to ignore the simple truths of food manufacturing, but it has never been an issue. But knowing that there are helpless animals that are being treated so poorly has had a profound effect on me. I haven’t become an advocate for vegetarianism, but after reading Eating Animals, I have a small shred of remorse for whatever it is I’m about to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment