Friday, March 21, 2014

Stukel-week 7

I found Chapter 6 of Eating Animals to be especially thought provoking. I was horrified by the description of how the employees treated the animals so sadistically. The descriptions of the treatment the animals that Foer gives really appeal to the readers emotions. This appeal to ethos makes it nearly impossible to forget what you read next time you consider buying pork or beef at the grocery store. I also felt that the book comes full circle in some ways. Foer describes the experience of looking the pig in the eyes as it was about to be killed but in a way feeling calmer about its death. This has to do with his choice to refrain from eating meat and is therefore not contributing to the horrendous industry that is going to kill the pig. This recalls the beginning of the book when his grandmother refused to eat pork in the face of starvation. It once again raises the question of whether one eats meat or not as an ethical issue and how or choices define who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment