Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Kenny Levine week 2
After reading the first couple chapters of Thank You For Arguing, I learned some new things about rhetorical strategies that I hadn't known previously. For example, I think it is helpful to understand what your objective is in an argument. There have been countless times where I have been in an argument, and in order to get what I want, I will simply start rattling off a bunch of points that don't help my argument, and in the end, it hurts my case. Another thing I learned about was how important tense was in an argument. In chapter 3, Heinrichs discussed the three core issues in an argument: blame, value, and choice and how the tense has an effect on each value. I had never thought that tense usage had an effect on an argument, but after reading about it in TYFA, I now try to pay attention during arguments to the tenses that people are using. I have also noticed that when I argue with others, I often used past tense to blame people in order to make them feel badly for what they did. I really enjoyed reading the first chapters of Thank You For Arguing because it gave me tools that I can incorporate into my everyday life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment