After
seeing “Killing Us Softly 4,” and reflecting on the advertising world, my mind
thought immediately of an ad I saw on target.com. The ad is for their line of
swimsuits, and shows the back of a model, but a large portion of her thighs and
butt are missing. It is very apparent in this ad that photoshop was used, and that
the skills of the editor were very sub par. I believe that it certainly follows
the accusations that Jean Killbourne made in her video. It shows how the ad is
obviously not what the actual girl looks like, as it is physically impossible
for her to look like that. It’s very difficult to take the ad seriously,
because the way the young girl looks is so ridiculous. If I didn’t find this
online while shopping, I would think they were overdoing it to make fun of the
industry and put it there to be ironic. Killbourne talked thoroughly about how
when young girls see these fake images of perfect looking women, it creates an
impossible image of beauty. When seeing this ad, I no longer thought the girl
was beautiful after noticing her “thigh gap” that so many girls talk about
wanting, was taken way too far. The girls in advertisements already go through
hours of hair and makeup to look as beautiful as they do, and then companies
take it a step farther and edit it them even more. As girls keep getting thinner
it makes you question when they’ll stop. How skinny will be too skinny?
http://www.metro.us/boston/news/national/2014/03/11/photos-target-makes-epic-photoshop-fail-in-latest-swimsuit-ad/
No comments:
Post a Comment