In
Eating Animals there appears to be a number of logical fallacies that I was not
aware of until I read about them in Thank You for Arguing. This may be a
stretch but I think that Safran Foer is adding a red herring to his book by
talking about the influenza. I think that by talking about influenza he
is distracting from the fact that the food we eat is generated from mistreated
animals. Although the influenza section goes along with the mistreatment
of the animals it is a different topic and makes readers think that what is
going on is way worse than it actually may be. By making the connection of
influenza and animal farms Safran Foer makes strengthens his case of needing to
treat animals better but at the same time abandons his case of not eating animals. People feel bad for the animals in this
section because they are scared that by treating them poorly we are going to
eventually face a plague like illness that could be the end of humanity when in
reality the likely hood of this is very slim to non. Safran Foer is trying to call on the readers
fear or death and possible plague instead of the previous emotional pity or
feeling bad for eating animals that are treated so poorly and forced to live in
such awful conditions. Like I said in
the beginning this could be a stretch but because it is slightly a different approach
to drawing on the readers emotions I thought that this could be a red herring.
No comments:
Post a Comment