Thinking about all of the points
that Jean Kilbourne made in her film, the point that really stood out to me was
about how women are demoralized through advertising. When watching T.V. I don’t
usually pay close attention to the commercials let alone analyze them because
lets be honest who enjoys watching commercials? For the people who create the
commercials and ads that we see in magazines their whole intention is for the
commercial or ad to catch our attention even if it may be for a brief movement
or two. That’s why I believe that so many commercials and ads use sexual
advertising because sex sells and will catch out attention. The market that I
feel uses the most sexual type of advertising is the liquor market because so
many of their commercials seemed to be intended to catch the eye of males.
That’s why I picked the ad for Skyy Vodka because it will clearly demonstrate
what I mean. Before even noticing the bottle of Skyy Vodka in the man’s hand in
the picture any male’s eyes will probably notice the female lying down on what
seems to be a beach. Like Jean pointed out in her video most ads contain
Caucasian females just like in this ad. This female’s breasts are clearly made
to stick out not just because of their size but also because of the skimpy
bathing suit. Now looking at the male in the picture he is clearly the dominant
one hence that’s why he is standing over the female. The male is also dressed
in a nice suit, which signifies he’s wealthy and has power. The female is also
forced to look up to the male which could also signify that the male has power
over her.

No comments:
Post a Comment