Saturday, March 29, 2014

Levine post 6

When reading chapter six of Eating Animals, there were many moments that caused me to think twice about my eating habits, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when Foer talks about the treatment of the animals by the employees.  Even though I still choose to eat meat, when I read about this type of treatment it sickens me.  On page 182, Foer states that hidden video cameras caught workers "sawing off pigs legs and skinning them while they were still conscious."  He also mentions many other horrible things that workers do to the animals, such as some workers at Tyson foods ripping the beaks off fully alive birds, as well as kicking them, stomping them, slamming them into walls, and some workers even spit chewing tobacco into their eyes, among many other horrible things.  It is even more horrifying that the managers actually condoned these behaviors.    Jonathan Safran Foer has discussed the mistreatment of animals throughout this book, but the graphic nature of Slices of Paradise/Pieces of Shit really stood out to me and had an effect on my attitudes towards eating meat.  Even though I remain a meat-eater, I absolutely do not condone the actions of the workers as described in this chapter,  and perhaps I will think more carefully about eating meat in the future as a result of knowing what I do now about the way many of these animals are treated before they are killed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment