Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 1 Poulsen

The most memorable part of thank you for arguing to me is in the beginning when we learn about ethos logos and pathos.  I found this section most memorable because I use these techniques the most when im writing essays or even just short lab reports for other classes.  I have also begun to recognize when these techniques are being used when I am reading something that someone else has written.  I have found that by using even just a little bit of logos I can make my writing or stories more credible.  This goes for both ethos and pathos too. Just by incorporating a little of any of the three I am able to make what ever im writing that must more interesting or believable.  I personally find logos the most useful to use because someone will always try to argue with creditably or personal information but no one can deny cold hard facts and statistics.  For me I see logos as the last resort trump card that you can use to win over your audience no matter what the topic of your position on the topic.  In thank you for arguing Heinrichs says that pathos is the best of the three because you can capture the heart of the audience and although i agree that everyone loves a good sob story i feel that these can only last for so long.  I think that if you start off with a good story of pathos and finish with some facts that you have a better argument then just a sob story of pathos.

No comments:

Post a Comment