http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2008/07/07/business/07doveA.ready.html
Killing us softly described how in modern media and in older media women are often, objectified, abused, frail, not "real looking" or completely photoshopped and fake. I chose to look at an ad that apparently defies the norm of what we are seeing in advertisements. This dove ad shows 6 women of all different body type. Some are short, some tall, some thinner and some with a little more weight than your average model. In addition they very in ethnicity. From black to white to asian to spanish an more it is clear that this add is for a wide audience of women. The ad is for dove body wash, and the tagline reads, "New Dove firming, as tested on real curves" I understand that Dove is trying to sell a more typical body type, but does that mean if you are naturally skinny without wide hips or large breasts you should feel excluded. I also question to what extent is this ad selling through sex or not. The women are not your typical young and sexy models but they are still being portrayed on a large billboard in only their underwear and bras. This aspect of the ad does resemble a more sexist way to ads because if there were larger men pictured in their underwear this ad would have been looked at as way more unappealing. I can see that there are slowly becoming improvements in advertisements but there will always be flaws with the intentions of the ad.
No comments:
Post a Comment