Week 3 Martin
In chapter 6 of Thank You for Arguing, Heinrichs tells us it
is important for the audience to know your position on the issue without being
biased. It seems contradictory but by using rhetorical tools correctly it can
be done. Safran Foer does this often in Eating Animals. For example, he talked
about his dislike for dogs and then changed to talking about his love for dogs.
I think Safran Foer does this on purpose because he is attempting to appeal to
multiple people not just one side of the issue. However, Safran Foer has to be
careful because if he changes his mind too much or sub consciously continues to
favor one side he may start to lose credibility with his audience which is one
of the worst things an author can do. When credibility is lost, the reader
usually puts down the book and doesn't finish. I felt like I understood what
Safran Foer was attempting to do so it didn't bother me as much as it normally
would have. Having the author tell both sides of the issue is something unique
and I enjoyed it because I felt that it gave me much more information about the
issue so I could make my own decisions of how I felt about the issue; it helps
me finish reading the chapter because I become interested in the other side of
the issue to see it full circle.
No comments:
Post a Comment