Monday, March 10, 2014
Bender Week 7
The chapter speechlessness/pieces of shit really resonated with me and caught my attention more than any other chapter in the book so far. Growing up in rural Iowa, my surroundings is farmland, and I drive by farms every single day. To read the part in the book about it being in Iowa really hit home to me. Before I knew stuff like this happen but hearing the individual accounts of the different farmers made everything seem really. The part that struck me the most though was at the end. Up to this point the task of not eating any of these animals at all seemed impossible. I thought no way is it possible for one mans book to change an entire nations eating habits. He stated that even for him it is hard to refrain from eating meet. He also said that its okay to not be a strict vegetarian. The farmer who is going about it in the most humane way still isn't doing everything right. It is about do everything with the best intentions and attempting to be better every day. He has educated us with the reality of the situation and is now challenging the population to the right and moral way. We are all humans and we all mistakes but the extent of the problems is not going anywhere. The littlest steps made will help in the long run. After this chapter I refrain from eating meat if I can and absolutely think differently of Tyson and the old corporations. He is a persuasive writer and I am exciting to see how he is going to entice the audience up to the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment