Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bender week 8

            I found this assignment very interesting and learned more about each topic that the groups elaborated on then I previously knew. The group presentation that really resonated with me was the debate on the drinking age. I like how they related it directly to Iowa City and college student. By making the audience Iowa City college students, and not as broad as the population under twenty-one, it made me become more passionate on the topic.

            I really connected to Jackson’s character. I found it interesting form a bar owners perspective. I feel like on the issue of underage drinking it is either my peers perspective or my parents perspectives that I constantly hear the opinions of. It is usually biased and turns me off from listening to their opinions. Hearing it from a bar owner put the issue in perspective. Instead of just agreeing with the norm of most arguments, he made compromises and solutions. He wanted the drinking age to be lowered because of the sake of his business, but always made a plan of action with sincere concern for the well being of those who became intoxicated at his bar. I think instilling his employees to take educational courses, regardless of the drinking age, should be required by anyone who is serving alcohol. My opinion on the issue has not change, and I think the drinking age should remain twenty-one, but Jackson’s side of the story shed light on the side of the issue that people rarely consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment