Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Week 7 Martin

Before reading this book I was a meat eater that did not think for second about where my food came from or how the animals were treated before they were slaughtered. I never really made the connection in my mind that the hamburger I ate was once a cow or the bacon I had for breakfast was once a pig that was abused before slaughter. This chapter really opened my eyes to the injustice that is done to animals on a daily basis at factory farms. My favorite part of the chapter was the mention that Chipotle got about being really the only nationwide restaurant chain that does not get its pork from factory farms. That being said, I really don't see me changing my eating habits, at the end of the day I am going to continue to eat meat but it will be will more awareness of the situation. One thing however did change, and that is I now have another reason to enjoy Chipotle. Before, eating Chipotle was a struggle between it tasting so good and it being a little expensive; but now I can justify eating Chipotle more often because I will be doing a great service to traditional hog farmers and not using pork from factory farmers at the same time. Safran Foer is a fantastic persuasive writer and he is not afraid to talk about facts that others want to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment