Sunday, March 30, 2014

Levine post 8

After watching "Killing Us Softly 4" I immediately thought about the countless ads that I see on TV, but specifically Super Bowl ads.  The Super Bowl is the most watched TV event and as a result the advertisers pay a fortune to get their ads into the game.  However, some of the most sexist ads also occur during the super bowl.  One that I immediately look back on is a Carl's Jr. commercial from the past couple years.  In these ads, there are beautiful models such as Katherine Webb and Kate Upton wearing barely anything while eating a burger from Carl's Jr.  Even though it is an ad for one of their burgers, the viewers attention will be focused toward the scantily clad models and they will hardly even recognize the fact that it is an advertisement for Carl's Jr.  Kilbourne mentioned in "Killing Us Softly" that many times a lot of the advertisements that feature scantily clad women have nothing to do with the actual product that is being advertised, and that is exactly the case here.  While I don't mind looking at attractive women in lingerie, I don't think that because I see Kate Upton eating a Carl's Jr. "thickburger" in lingerie will make me more likely to go out and get one.  This is not a new occurence, Carl's Jr. has been doing this ad campaign for quite some time, but as Kilbourne mentioned in the video, these types of advertisements are all over the place and they are quite ridiculous, regardless of whether or not they are good for business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AdViveJYD0

No comments:

Post a Comment