Week 2 Martin
Thank You for Arguing really helped teach me the difference
between pathos, logos, and ethos. Before reading the book, I had an idea about
what each of them were but I really didn't have a deeper knowledge of the
concepts. What really helped me understand the differences between the three
was when Heinrichs said logos, ethos, and pathos appeal to the brain, gut, and
heart of the audience. The brain attempts to sort out the facts while your gut
tells you if you can trust the speaker and the heart makes the audience want to
do something. I think using pathos is likely to get the most reaction from the
audience because many people make decisions based on what their heart says rather
than their brain or gut. I have been able to spot rhetoric techniques in other
readings that I have done because I have a better understanding of them so I am
able to recognize them easier. Heinrichs said the best way to score points with
the audience is to sympathize with their concern and change the mood to suit
your argument. I think this is spot on because when people have problems they
look for someone with power who understands them to get them out of their
troubles. Aristotle said Ethos was the most important appeal but I think in our
society it is too hard to tell what someone's true character really is.
No comments:
Post a Comment