Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Week 4 Martin



I thought the one word that stood out to me the most was bycatch because of the great depth Safran Foer goes to prove his point. Calling bycatch an 'accident' is one of the biggest lies out there in the food industry. I am positive that there is a better way to catch shrimp without killing other species. Learning of all the animals that are killed just to get a plate of shrimp or sushi is truly astounding. If there was a warning or disclaimer presented every time someone ordered shrimp or sushi about the number of other animals that died in order for them to enjoy that meal, I bet many people would think twice about ordering shrimp or sushi ever again. Although this information is appalling, I don't think just telling us that a lot of animals die would have been effective enough and Safran Foer knew that. It was a brilliant move on his part to literally name 96 different species that die on a regular basis in order to catch shrimp. Safran Foer's point was made very clear when reading a full page of names that die. While catching shrimp, fishermen throw 80 to 90 percent of what they catch overboard because it isn't shrimp. Learning about all the waste and unnecessary death involved makes me sit back and think if shrimp is really worth it. I was never a big fan of sushi before but after this, I promise that I will never eat sushi again.

No comments:

Post a Comment