A moment in chapter 6 of Eating Animals that stood out to me was
on pages 181-182. These two pages described some of the horrible treatment that
animals go through from immature factory employees. Two of the examples that
really made me cringe were how farmers were, “bludgeoning pregnant sows with a
wrench and ramming an iron pole a foot deep into mother pigs’ rectums and
vaginas” (Foer, 181). Foer also described what undercover video cameras caught
workers doing such as workers sawing off pigs’ legs and skinning them while
they were still conscious. Foer listed these inhumane treatments of animals to
attract the readers’ emotion using pathos. The thing that got me was that the
places treating these animals this way are the largest meat producers such as
Tyson Foods. It is extremely nauseating thinking that I have ate something that
has been through those types of conditions. Foer has mentioned this terrible
treatment before but after reading most of this book and hearing how some
farmers give their pigs a better way of life with good food and freedom to run
in exchange for their life later on is so much more ethical. My beliefs and way
of thinking should not let me eat animals that have gone through this. I became
a vegetarian before and it lasted two years. Something else Foer mentions in
his book is the socialization of food and that is exactly what led me back to a
non-vegetarian life. It is hard to be a vegetarian and go to your friends’
house for a meal or not eat the turkey on Thanksgiving and miss traditions such
as that. I chose to skip those traditions before and live a vegetarian life but
two years later, I slowly went back. This book is making me second guess that
decision now that I am once again reading what I discovered before about the
inhuman treatment of animals.
No comments:
Post a Comment