Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bender week 14


I found Dani’s speech on cochlear implants to be very interesting. I never knew any background information about them, just that they help people hear well. This being all I have heard, I only knew good things about them. When I first heard that she was arguing against them I thought why on earth would allowing someone to hear again ever be a bad thing. I think choosing to side against the implants was very risking, but she made a strong case against it and made me understand why someone would rather not want them. Her argument was basically all on the choice of the person and had nothing to due with the health or process of implanting the hearing device. I very much enjoyed her source of a women who chose to not receive them, and her detailed explanation as to why. Hearing is form a deaf person really persuaded me to believe that not having hearing aids really might not be all that bad. Her speech didn’t make me think that having cochular implants is wrong, it just gave me the understanding as to why someone would choose to not get the implants. The sign language community astounds me as to how they communicate and still live as fully as everyone else in the world. I still believe that hearing gives everyone greater opportunity in life, but I enjoyed Dani’s perspective on a topic that is usually not talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment