After
watching my classmates’ speeches, I thought that the most interesting was
Hannah’s speech on plastic surgery. Before helping her edit her paper and listening
to her speech, I was close-minded and ignorant about people regarding plastic
surgery. A few girls from my high school got nose jobs I typically had the same
opinion about them: that they were superficial and wasting their parent’s money
on an unnecessary surgery. When realizing how much of an impact a body change
such as that has on one’s self esteem I changed my mind.
People can suffer very serious mental problems because of
the way they see themselves, and if a surgery can fix that, then who am I to
judge? I also recently read an article about a woman who had a major problem
with her chest which prevented her from ever being social or making friends
because she was so self conscious about the way she looked and how other people
thought of her. The idea that you shouldn’t care what others think is a good
idea, but if it’s a problem you can’t get over and is seriously affecting your
lifestyle, I now think something should be done about it to help them.
I think people are too quick to judge others when it comes
to plastic surgery, and Hannah’s speech made me change my thoughts. It also
shouldn’t matter what someone chooses to do with their own body, because it has
nothing to do with you. If what someone does makes them happy and doesn’t hurt
anyone else, they should be able to do it without judgement.
No comments:
Post a Comment