Thursday, May 8, 2014
Post 11 Martin
Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows was a little disappointing to me especially after reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I believe the main reason I was let down by the book is because I truly enjoyed Safran Foer's writing style. I felt like Safran Foer was explaining the issue and then telling me his and others' views on the issue. For Carr, it felt like he was talking to me about an issue and I guess I just got sick of him after a while. However, I did agree with Carr about the dependence of humans on technology and the problem that it could become. Carr argued that people from past generations had better brains because they were able to store a lot more information in their head. Carr said that because of technology we are able to have the internet in our pockets, and if we ever needed to know anything we can go to our phones and look it up instead of learning and remembering it. Carr is also arguing that we are becoming lazier and don't want to put in the effort to remember anything if they can just have it stored in their phones. So I guess I can respect what Carr is arguing and I do agree with him but what I can't stand is how pretentious he makes himself sound. Safran Foer attempted to break things down so the reader could understand but Carr never really explained some of the things he talked about or referenced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment