Friday, May 2, 2014

Levine post 11

After reading The Shallows by Nicholas Carr, I found that I disagreed with a lot of what he was saying.  Most of the time we hear about how technology is making the world better, so it was interesting to read a book that had the exact opposite opinion.  While I do agree with certain points that he makes, I do not think that technology is completely a positive, or negative thing, I think it is a little bit of both.  Carr mentions that technology is making us lazier as a society,  and that is definitely true.  I find that it was difficult for me to get through a 20-30 page chapter in this book without looking at my phone, which is pretty sad when you think about it.  Even when I am reading through an article online, if it is a lengthy article, I often find myself skimming through the article to find interesting points as even more of a shortcut to find information.  However, I also think that the new technology is not all bad.  For example, it is much easier now to communicate with people from all over the world.  I can communicate with my friends from high school much more easily than it would have been before the era of the internet, smart phones, etc.  While I did not agree with all of what Nicholas Carr was saying in this book, it was still an interesting book to read.  However, with that being said, I do not see myself changing the way I use technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment