I think Maus shares similarities with Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and The Shallow's by Nicholas Carr. The content is obviously different but the writing styles are actually similar to each other. Safran Foer used a lot of graphic words to describe what some animals go through at slaughter houses or at factory farms. Safran Foer talked about the suffering that happened. Spiegelman's comics were quite graphic in some instances and he to talked about suffering and all the horrid things that happened in Nazi concentration camps. Another thing Eating Animals and Maus have in common is the use of irony as comedy but also to make a point. Spiegelman used both his drawings and his words for his irony; and Safran Foer also used irony to expose wrongdoings by factory farms and slaughter houses. However, I thought Spiegelman and Carr were similar to each other in a negative way. I could not stand the writing style of Carr because it felt like he just kept pushing the same issue over and over and it just got old pretty fast. First off, I was a little annoyed with Spiegleman talking about how his father preferred his brother over him, since it was never explained why Vladic would have preferred Rachiu it seems like Spiegelman was looking to get the audience to shift some of their sympathy to him. Second, I became annoyed with Vladic after it was revealed that he was a racist. I was shocked the Vladic could be racist based on what he went through. That feeling he had towards black people is the same feeling Hitler had for Jews. I would have thought that Vladic would be open to all types of people.
No comments:
Post a Comment