Saturday, May 10, 2014
Levine post 13
After finishing Maus and comparing it to the other books that we read in class, I found that it was more similar to Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer than The Shallows by Nicholas Carr. Both Eating Animals and Maus have strong use of pathos. In Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer describes some of the slaughterhouses the he either visited, or had researched about and gave the reader a picture of just how much the animals suffer in order to be killed and later eaten by us. Art Spiegelman gave his father's first-hand knowledge of what happened during the Holocaust and in the concentration camps to give the readers an idea of just how terrible it was. This is very different from The Shallows. It seemed like Carr didn't really do that, it seemed like he was more ranting about how technology is bad for the world without really coming up with a solution to the problem like Safran Foer did in Eating Animals. While Spiegelman doesn't have an "argument" per se, he does a very good job of describing just how terrible the Holocaust was, and much like Safran Foer, he helps create an image of how awful the conditions are in their various situations. While I didn't agree with the arguments that were made by Safran Foer and Carr, it was definitely eye-opening to read these books and although it is still unlikely that I will change the way I eat or the way I use technology, they were still interesting books to read. With regards to Maus, no matter how many years pass by, the Holocaust is still one of the most prominent moments in our world's history, and it will always have an effect on people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment