Monday, May 5, 2014

Post 13 Gordon



I really enjoyed finishing the 2nd volume of Maus, and I think it was the perfect complement to the 1st volume.  It is not like any other book we have read this year, but it does have some similar rhetoric.  The way in which it is most similar to Eating Animals is the use of animals and sympathy.  Foer creates sympathy by revealing the reality to food processing.  By the end of the book the reader reevaluates the decisions that they have previous made, and begins to feel sympathy.  Similar pathos is used in Maus.  The use of animals is used in ways in which we feel bad for the mice and hatred for the cats.  I never thought that two books that were so different could have any similarities.  Maus is also similar to The Shallows.  I had a similar feeling of acknowledgement and awareness as I read both books.  I was not alive during the time of the Holocaust, but I am able to make awareness for myself and learn from the experiences that occurred before my existence.  I was also made aware for my actions in The Shallows, I learned about the Internet and how technology has changed me as a person.  Although I was changed for different reasons, both books had compelling arguments as to why it is important to reflect on the actions of people from the past and to reflect on ourselves and the choices we have made throughout our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment